Eyeliner – FAQs
What is permanent make-up?Permanent makeup (cosmetic tattooing) is the process of depositing pigment (colour) into the skin using a fine needle.
How long is the appointment?The initial appointment will take approximately 2 to 3 hours. The touch up appointment (4-6 weeks later) should be quicker but this is dependent on how much the line has faded from the first appointment and therefore how much work is required in the touch up appointment to achieve the desired result. However, approximately the first 45 minutes of each session is consultation and pre-numbing. The creation of you liner must be seen as a two part process as the touch up appointment WILL be required. The touch up appointment should be booked when you leave your first appointment.
What are the liner options and costs?Please see the Price List. Liners can vary in thickness depending on your preference and are costed according to the thickness.
Is is painful?Most clients are pleasantly surprised as they usually expect worse. A “ticklish” sensation is often experienced initially as you get used to the vibration of the needle. The area is numbed with a topical anesthetic before we begin, and a secondary anesthetic is used during the appointment to keep you as comfortable as possible.
What are the side-effects?
- While eyebrows may show little after effect, eyeliner may show slight to moderate swelling. This can vary dependent on the amount of work performed on the area.
- During the procedure there may be some minor bleeding/bruising. This is client specific. Many people take blood thinners on a daily basis so slight bleeding/bruising could be expected. Others show little or no signs of bleeding or bruising.
- There is usually some tenderness for a few days. You may need a few days afterward without social plans or strenuous activity.
- The colour is much darker than you may expect for the first six to ten days.
What is the healing process?Day 1-2:
- The treated area will appear intense in colour. It is normal for colour to fade by approximately 50% once healed.
- For the remainder of the day after the appointment, gently wipe the treated area with a damp cotton pad every 1-2 hours. This is to remove lymph build up and avoid substantial scabbing. Use boiled and cooled, or bottled water.
- Continue this process on day 2.
- When showering/bathing and washing your face, wash your face as normal just ensuring you are gentle around your eye area. Then when you get out of the shower, gently wipe the area (damp cotton pad as above). It’s important to keep the area clean. Once clean, pat dry with a tissue.
- Keep makeup and creams off the area for 10 days from the appointment. (moisturiser, eye cream / night cream, eye makeup).
- Anti-inflammatory tablets / painkillers can be taken AFTER the appointment to soothe any tenderness. 2x Arnica homeopathic tablets can be chewed every 2 hrs to reduce swelling and bruising (if any).
- Do not rub. The less you agitate the treated area, the better result you will have.
- From the morning of day 3 you may start applying the gel provided IF you feel its necessary – i.e. if you feel the area is still tender and would benefit from the soothing gel. You may apply a small amount using an earbud, morning and evening for 3 days.
- If the area does not feel tender/tight and feels completely fine, you don’t have to start the gel routine.
- When showering/bathing and washing your face, wash your face as normal just ensuring you are gentle around your eye area. Then when you get out of the shower, gently wipe the area (damp cotton pad as above). It’s important to keep the area clean. Once clean, pat dry with a tissue and reapply the aftercare ointment using an earbud (IF you have started using it). You need only apply a tiny amount. Do this for 3 days only. Thereafter no aftercare ointment is required but still keep makeup and creams off the area for 10 days from the appointment.
- Scabs / crusts may start to detach/flake. Treated area may look too light and uneven in colour now. This is normal.
- You have 7 layers of skin, and it takes 6-7 weeks for all the colour to surface through the 7 layers and become complete and even everywhere.
- Do NOT pick off. Let it heal on its own. Picking will lead to poor results/colour retention.
- Itching is normal as new cells are growing rapidly. Tap or lightly scratch around the area.
- Treated area will start to look really nice but still uneven in solidness, colour and undertone. Every week for a total of 6-8 weeks the colour will mature and even out and become more visible and solid.
- Fading and inconsistency WILL happen after each procedure, this is normal and a touch up appointment is always required for optimal results.
- The permanent makeup will eventually look more powdered, this is universal with all permanent makeup procedures. As we age our skin changes.
- There are no guarantees made as to the final outcome. Your skin, lifestyle and after care play a huge roll in your specific results. Everyone heals differently.
- Colour WILL fade/soften anywhere from 10% to 50% or more. At the touch up we will fine tune any area that has faded too much.
- Please arrive with clean eyes (no eye make-up).
- If you wear contact lenses, please rather come wearing your glasses. Make sure you also bring your sunglasses with you as your eyes may feel sensitive post-procedure.
- No alcohol/caffeine on the day of the appointment (prior).