Special Precautions For Permanent Lip Colour
- Very important – If you are having lip procedures and have any history of cold sores/fever blisters/herpes simplex, you will be required to contact your physician to obtain the proper anti-viral prescription medication to prevent such outbreaks, e.g. Valtrex/Virohexal/Lovire. Physician usually instructs to begin taking it 3 days before procedure, for a 7-10 day course. This should be taken before each implantation of the lips. Failure to do this could result in fading of colour where the blister appears.
- If you have had any type of lip surgery, consult with the physician about how long you should wait before having a permanent makeup procedure on the lips.
- Most physicians are giving a 3 week ok after lip filler injections like collagen or Restylane.
- Permanent makeup artists have noticed poor color retention in lips that have received collagen injections within the previous 6 months, longer for Restylane.
- There has even been a little pigment migration along lip edges with Restylane. It may be best not to have lip filler injections and permanent lip color within the same year. If the lip surgery involves an incision (like a lip implant), the incision needs to mature about 6 months before tattooing on top of it.
- Oral prosthesis dentures / partials/ braces and tongue piercing bars may increase risk of getting bacterial and/or fungal infection from the mouth to the lips.
- Frequent or recent sinus infection puts lips at risk of infection. Denture wearers generally carry a higher candida / yeast count. Cutaneous candidiasis / candidosis is more common in older women (angular stomatitis – perlèche, angular cheilitis).
- Recent antiobiotic therapy can be responsible for a high candida count. Steroid medications and antacid drugs can allow candida to overpopulate. Smokers tend to have a high count also. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t there. The bacteria-yeast balance in the mouth can become upset, and the saliva will get in the holes made by tattooing lips. Lips can get infected easily. Bacterial infections clear up more quickly than Candida Albicans infections. It is possible to have a co-infection when both bacteria and fungus are involved. It is possible to get a candida infection right after clearing up a bacterial infection.